You are an experienced UX leader who leads by example. You do not shy away from complex business problems but rather look forward to tackling them. You focus less on creating screens and more on creating impact for your customer. You understand the value of teamwork and will foster a collaborative team spirit that brings together designers, developers and product managers towards a common goal of solving our customer’s problems. Location is not a barrier for you, as you can work effectively with team members across multiple time zones.
You understand the value of effective communication and are fluent in communicating with technical and non-technical team members. You can hold your own when discussing product strategy with product managers and technical feasibility with developers. You bridge that gap by finding a middle ground between what’s best for the customer and what development can realistically deliver in a reasonable time frame. You define and uphold an efficient and effective design process.
You have a thirst for knowledge and are eager to tackle some of the biggest challenges being faced by airlines around the world. You are not afraid to think big and are capable of designing truly next-generation systems. You take pride in your creative problem-solving skills. You make up for any shortcomings in experience with a willingness to put in the effort needed to become a product expert in a complex domain. You take ownership of your work and the work of your team. Lastly, and most importantly, you understand the value of a good team culture and will invest the time and energy needed to keep it strong.
At Optym, our mission is to build decision automation and optimization solutions that increase efficiency in the transportation industry. The collaborative, forward-thinking culture at Optym has helped solve some of the most challenging decision problems faced by the world’s leading airlines, railroads and trucking companies using cutting-edge optimization techniques. We strive to build intuitive software that helps businesses reduce operational costs, improve service quality and increase their profitability. Now that’s impact!
With our headquarters in Gainesville, Florida, and branches in three countries, Optym has a team of over 250 enthusiastic puzzle-solvers, and we’re rapidly growing.
As UX lead in our Airline division, you will lead a team of talented UI/UX designers to design the next-generation suite of airline scheduling solutions. You will be responsible for defining the design strategy and working closely with product and development teams to implement it. You will also have an opportunity to work directly with some of the largest airlines in the world.
- Define UX process for internal team (of local and remote) UI/UX designers
- Lead a team of several designers to support the design efforts across a Suite of 5 products
- Collaborate with Development and Product Management teams to align UX process with their respective processes
- Create mid-to-high fidelity prototypes based on high-level business, functional, and technical requirements
- Use creative problem-solving to tackle complex business problems in the Airline space
- Work with Product teams to support Product Discovery efforts
- Validate implementation to ensure design meets business needs
- Be the champion of users by being their advocate amongst internal stakeholders (Product, Development, QA, etc.)
- Iterate quickly and deliver results in an agile development environment
- Rationalize design decisions to stakeholders and peers
- Coordinate and execute user research efforts (interviews, usability testing, surveys, etc.)
- Develop expert knowledge of industry, competitive and complementary products
- 7+ years of design or relevant experience
- 3+ years of experience leading design teams
- “Full Stack” designer – strong UI and visual skills, big picture UX and product design thinking, interaction design
- Fluent in prototyping software such as Sketch, Axure RP, Adobe XD and Adobe Suite etc.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal/written communication, networking, presentation and negotiation skills
- Demonstrated experience in online interaction design or information architecture
- Outstanding conceptual design skills and familiarity with high-level artifacts (scenarios, personals, flow diagrams, etc.)
- Startup design and international experience preferred
- Experience in desktop application design preferred
- Experience in designing enterprise or business-facing products preferred
When applying, please link your portfolio or work sample. The portfolio should talk about the design process and design decisions as well as the end results.
Salary commensurate with experience. Optym offers a competitive pay and benefits package. Relocation reimbursement may be available to the right candidate.